Monday, August 31, 2009

Erin

Monday - August 31st.

Family and friends - I have been told that I will be leaving the Rehab Hospital on Wednesday - should be out of here by noon at the latest. Yippee!!! I do have to see the Neurologist on Thursday morning however - Boy is he going to be surprised to see how much I have improved since being in the hospital.

Paul and I are going to take a few days and do some sight seeing since we want to make sure all the renovations are complete at the house before we get there.

This morning started the same with breakfast and then OT with Jen. I used the hemi walker and stripped the bed - put it in the washing machine and made the bed - you get the picture. And I did it without falling! Actually - my balance is pretty good and we haven't had any issues - thank God!

My second session with Jen consisted of us playing the game Trouble while I stood without leaning against the table. Needless to say I lost the game - I think Jen cheats(just kidding) but I stood for almost 15 minutes without getting tired.

The first session of PT we did some leg stretches and exercises and then Abe(the guy that measures for the AFOs) came in with my order. So - he adjusted the AFOs to fit my feet and then Jen and I took off with the Claw walker for a few steps to see how the AFOs would work. They seem to help quite a bit and my knees don't seem to be locking up/or hyperextending like they were. I was finding the right one a little bothersome so Paul ran out and bought me a bigger size tennis shoe to accomodate the AFOs that would be more comfortable for me to be able to walk in. And they are velcro!

My last session with Erin - I asked her if I could practice walking on my own in between the parallel bars and she said yes. It doesn't look pretty - but I DID IT! - and then she took me outside of the parallel bars and I walked twice around the gym (one trip at a time). Of course - they put a safety belt around you just in case you start to lose your balance or fall. I did pretty good for the length I walked.

Tomorrow is my last day of therapy and when I am done at the end of the day - I will walk without any walker or cane and grab a hold of the bell and give it a good RING!!! My goal was to be able to walk out on my own and I will be.

I will be having to go to rehab and keep working on getting my legs stronger and my body working like it should but I know that I am on the right track.

Your continued support, encouragement and prayers help keep me going along with my faith that I know that God is with me all the way.

So we will see you guys back in Michigan by Saturday. Have to be home to celebrate the Labor Day Weekend with our family and friends and also Hoop and Holla that the kids go back to school!!! They will have no reason to be bored!

Take care. Will see everyone soon. God Bless!

Delia

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you are doing better day by day. I can't wait to see you guys soon and I hope you have a safe trip back. Congrats on your amazing improvement...I'm proud of you :))))

    ReplyDelete