Thursday, August 27, 2009

Here goes! Today is Thursday, August 27th. I decided to start this blog because everytime I had something to say I didn't have enough space on FB to finish my thoughts.

As of last Wednesday, they had me standing and using a walker. It was kind of scary because even though it is something we do for the most part by the time we are a year old - when you get an illness that takes your abilities away - you have to start from scratch much like a baby learning to take their first steps.

I am doing much better as each day passes. I can feel the nerves and the tingling but I still feel like I am carrying lead weights when I stand and take steps. It is hard to explain.

Yesterday, with OT we went out to our Yukon and I was able to hoist myself into the passenger side. That was a feat in itself because a few days prior I couldn't do it. I also have learned the correct way to use a walker as it pertains to getting into a vehicle, getting ready for bed, going to the restroom and the like.

Physical Therapy is where I get the walking in. Yesterday I walked about 700 ft in total with the longest length being 240 ft before I needed to take a break. I guess you really don't realize how heavy your legs are until you are walking and don't feel them. I find myself looking done at my feet so I can make sure I am placing them properly so I don't get all tangled up in them.

Paul and I played catch with a rubber ball and then hit a balloon to each other as I stood without holding on in between the parallel bars to help me with my balance. I did pretty good as long as he didn't try to throw the ball or hit the balloon way out of my reach.

Today I started with OT and we played the game Jenga. I stood for approximately 20 minutes while playing the game. In my later session of OT I used a hemi-walker and learned again how to get in and out of a car, carry folded laundry, walk to a recliner and sit and other such things that we would normally do on a daily basis.

Physical Therapy started with walking with the walker and then I moved to the hemi-walker and then I used the can that has the 4 prongs on the bottom(don't know what you call it). Walked with each one about 50 feet. It is strange trying to balance yourself and walk at the same time. After that, we went to the parallel bars where I practice squating without holding on and then I asked if I could try to take a few steps on my own. My PT let me and I didn't do bad but believe me when I say it wasn't easy.

Later this afternoon - we went for a walk outside with the walker and it is different walking on different surfaces - cement, brick, tile and watching for cracks and the like so you are careful to set the walker down properly so you don't land on your face.

I was also fitted for AFOs which are a molded plastic device that fits in your shoe and helps you from not hyperextending your knees. It is hard not to do when you are trying to walk and not fall. The first thing that happens is you lock your knees.

Again, before I sign off for today - I would like to thank everyone for all the well wishes, prayers and the comments you have made to me on FB and the like.

I am working hard every day so that I can walk out of here on my own steam. Tomorrow is another day and as always full of endless possibilities.

I hope each of you have had a wonderful day and have a great evening. Take care of yourselves and be greatful to the Lord above for all the wonders in our lives.

God Bless,



  1. Wow, you are extremely strong. I know that you will kick butt so that you can walk out on your own 2 feet. With God's blessing this will happen. I love you and pray for you every night so does Anise. We love you very much.

  2. Yay your first blog entry! I hope that you find this place to be a useful outlet for your thoughts, ideas and feelings. It is great to be able to read what you do each day. I love you and I so admire your strength during this trial in your life. Can't wait until you are back home!